This sounds SO delicious--it's also from Jamie Geller and Aish.com! It looks amazing!
- Prep time: 5
- Cook time: 240
- Ready time: 4 hour, 5 min
- Servings: 8
- 1 four- pound 1st cut beef brisket *(best if it is Pesadik or grass-fed)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 medium onions, peeled and cut into 1/8ths
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 cups pomegranate juice *(make sure there are no gluintous stabilizes)
- 2 cups chicken broth **(be ABSOLUTELY certain that you use gluten-free broth and kosher parve broth. Try Imagine Soups-http://www.imaginefoods.com/)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 small bunch fresh thyme
Preheat oven to 375 F.
Season brisket with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large roasting pan or dutch oven over medium high heat. Sear brisket about 4 minutes per side or until browned. Remove and set aside.
Add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and sauté onions and garlic for 5 minutes over medium low heat until softened. Return brisket to pan and add pomegranate juice, broth, honey, bay leaves, and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover.
Transfer to preheated oven and roast for 2 hours. Flip brisket over and continue roasting for 1 to 1 ½ more hours or until tender.
Let brisket rest for 10 minutes before thinly slicing against the grain. Strain liquid and serve on the side as au jus.