Monday, September 5, 2011

Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour

All Purpose Flour

There are many replacements for all-purpose flour. Most of them are a combination of types of gf-flour, here is Silvana Nardone's recipe, from her book "Cooking for Isaiah: Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free Recipes for Easy, Delicious Meals."

6 cups white rice flour, preferably Bob's Red Mill
3 cups tapioca flour,*
1 1/2 cups potato starch, prferably Bob's Red Mill
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons xanthum gum, preferably Bob's Red Mill

Directions: In a large bowl, whisk together the rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch, salt, and xanthum gum. Transfer into an airtight storage container and store in a cool, dry place or in the refrigerator. This recipe makes approximately 4 pounds of all-purpose flour.
Prep Time: 15 minutes

*The type of tapioca flour listed in Nardone's book is not kosher. I have heard that some ravs hold that flour does not need to have a hekscher, but that one should just sift it before using it if there is no hekscher to check for bugs. However, I have no certain knowledge of this--you should check with your kashrus posek before buying a non-kosher brand of flour.

About Silvana Nardone: "I was the founding editor-in-chief of Every Day with Rachael Ray magazine, where I was also the “No-Recipe Zone” and “Sweet Spot” columnist. A writer, editor, cooking instructor and food consultant, I coauthored Saveur Cooks Authentic Italian. I was an editor at Food & Wine magazine before opening my Italian bakery, Fanciulla. I’ve appeared on ABC’s Good Morning America, NBC’s Weekend Today, CBS’s News This Morning, ABC’s Eyewitness News This Morning and the Food Network’s Roker on the Road. I’ve also been featured in The New York Times, New York, TimeOut New York, The Associated Press and on many websites, including AOL Health, iVillageFood and Babble. I live in Brooklyn, New York, with my husband Stephen, and my children, Isaiah, 14, and Chiara, 4" 


Silvana's Website: http://silvanaskitchen.com/
About the Book: I found this book to be a helpful resource. Unfortunately, I think that there is one gluten-free cookbook on the market today in the kosher-variety, so I had to venture out of my comfort sphere and buy non-kosher cookbooks. Yes, some of her recipes feature shellfish and pork, but the vast majority do not and are VERY easy and quick!

No comments:

Post a Comment