Poached Salmon Salad With Beets
Hands-on Time: 20m
Total Time: 35m
- 1 pound salmon fillet, skin removed
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup sour cream (*GF Kosher Chef's Tip: Try Tofutti if you're Sephardi, or dairy-free)
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 2 bunches watercress, thick stems removed (about 6 cups)
- 3 medium beets, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
1. Place salmon in a skillet and season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add ¼ cup vinegar and enough water to half cover the fish.
2. Cover and simmer over medium heat until salmon is opaque and beginning to flake, 12 to 15 minutes.
3. Transfer to a plate and refrigerate until cool, 15 to 20 minutes. Using a fork, flake the salmon into bite-size pieces.
4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine sour cream, horseradish, remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
5. In individual bowls, combine watercress, salmon, and beets. Drizzle with the dressing and sprinkle with the dill.
TipBeets are delicious raw, but they should be sliced very thinly. The easiest way is with a Japanese mandoline. You can also use a vegetable peeler, or try grating them on a box grater.
Nutritional InformationCalories 280; Calories From Fat 43%; Protein 29g; Carbohydrate 9g; Sugar 6g; Fiber 2g; Fat 13g; Sat Fat 5g; Sodium 645mg; Cholesterol 92mg