Saturday, September 17, 2011

Roasted Carrots and Parsnips

A Critique of Joy of Kosher's 'Roasted  Carrots  and  Parsnips' Recipe

 
Roasted Carrots and Parsnips
 

Servings: 6-8

Ingredients

  • 1 lb carrots, peeled and sliced lengthwise 500g
  • 1 lb parsnips, peeled and sliced lengthwise 500g **(According to my sources, AND after scouring the shuk for 2+ hours, I can safely say that parsnips are not so available in Israel. So, I used 2 pounds of carrots) 
  • 2 Tbsp honey 30 mL
  • 3 Tbsp canola oil 45 mL (I used olive oil--which smells amazing!) 
  • 1 clove garlic, minced 1
  • 1 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary 15 mL (Again, I scoured the Machane Yehuda shuk for hours and didn't find any rosemary. There is a spice store near the entrance to the shuk on Agripas where I bought dried spices.) 
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Preparation

1 Prepare carrots and parsnips. Place in large plastic bag.
2 Combine honey, canola oil, garlic and rosemary in a small bowl. Mix well. **(I decided since my honey was too cold, so I microwaved the ingredients together. It smeleld amazing.) Pour into plastic bag and shake to coat vegetables. **(This is where I would change the recipe--which tasted more like roasted garlic than roasted garlic carrots. I could barely taste the garlic and honey flavors. Next time, I'm going to let this marinate overnight OR pour some of the ingredients on top of the carrots while they're roasting.)
3 Empty carrots and parsnips on a foil-lined roasting pan. Roast at 350F (180 C) for 45-60 minutes, turning once or twice, until vegetables are tender and nicely browned. (This took me approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes.)

Source: canolainfo.org

http://www.joyofkosher.com/recipe/roasted-carrots-and-parsnips/

No comments:

Post a Comment