Sunday, August 7, 2011

A Review of King Arthur's Gluten-Free Bread Mix

King Arthur Gluten-Free Bread Mix
Kosher Key: The mix is parve, but optional call for dairy, not appropriate for Pesach, not appropriate for vegans
Hekschers: CRC and GF-Gluten Free Certified
Ingredients: "Blend flour"-rice flour and tapioca starch, potato starch, sugar, emulsifier (with rice starch, polyglycerol esters of fatty acids), salt, xanthan gum.  A packet of yeast comes with the mix, which calls for melted butter OR oil (I used vegetable oil--not knowing how "futter"-fake butter would work), water, and 3 large eggs.

King Arthur has several gluten-free mixes-- about 118 GF mixes! Many can be dairy free or dairy. The mix that I used tonight was not vegan-friendly, it called for eggs and didn't give any suggestions for egg substitutes.
My tester, i.e. non-GF/DF mother, said it was "great!" But, then again, she can go have a regular piece of bread.... 


Tastes a bit like: Kugel/pashtida, it's very dense and not so airy. It tastes a bit potato-y but smells great (I think it's the yeast). I slathered the "bread" with "futter," but it would also work well with jam or chocolate spread.

This is a DON'T lick the bowl desert--I had to rinse my mouth out after I licked the bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment