Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Product Review: Van's Natural Foods Wheat/Gluten Free Flax Waffles

Product: Van's Natural Foods Wheat/Gluten Free Flax Waffles
Kashrut: Kof-K Parve 
Website: http://www.vansfoods.com/The_Goods/#/Waffles

From the outset of finding out that I needed to be gluten and dairy free, I realized that bread products would be difficult to replace--especially the delicious ones. I'm used to my grandmother's homemade pancakes with freshly picked blueberries, smothered in real maple syrup--and the thought of anything else seemed inferior.
While Van's Wheat/Gluten Free Flax Waffles would be nothing to write home about if you weren't gf/df, they're not bad, either. The texture is strange at first, but you quickly adapt--especially once you add other flavors, like fresh fruit, "futter" or real butter, or maple syrup! I'm not a big fan of freeze-dried fruit being put in anything, so I made sure not to get Van's "blueberry" waffles. Instead, I added my own fresh blueberries (obviously, this is seasonal) and real maple syrup. After some serious smothering, Van's Wheat/Gluten Free Flax Waffles were not only edible, they were almost comperable to the "real stuff." Even though Van's isn't something that I would have loved or even looked forward to eating before I was gf, the nice part is that after eating them I have no stomach problems, I don't feel sick, and I don't feel weak. It's a trade-off that I'm willing to make.

Pro's: This product scores high for convenience! While there are longer directions for the microwave and regular oven, I popped the waffles into a toaster--and in 2 minutes, they were golden and ready to go!
Cons: The thing that you will miss compared to "regular" waffles is the the airy-light texture that many glutenous waffles boast. GF foods, it seems, tend to have a heavier, and this product is not light or airy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment