Check out this recipe from Real Simple Magazine. (I get their daily recipes--all of which look delicious, but NOT all of which are dairy-free, gluten-free, and kosher. Some can be substituted, but sadly man cannot.) Fortunately, this one is all of the above--just remember to get gluten-free (and dairy free) tortilla chips, and you'er on you're way!)
Here is the link: http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/cool-southwestern-salad-00000000000662/index.html?xid=dailyrecnews-08-31-2011
The GF Kosher Chef's Cooking Tip: Make this on parve equipment--as citrus fruits are considered harif by some rabbis.
Cool Southwestern Salad With Corn and Avocado
Hands-on Time: 20m
Total Time: 20m
- 2 small heads romaine lettuce, cut into bite-size pieces (about 12 cups)
- 1 cup corn kernels (cut from 1 to 2 ears, or frozen and thawed)
- 2 avocados, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 15.5-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (which you CANNOT find in Israel)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/2 9-ounce bag tortilla chips
1. In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, corn, avocados, beans, onion, and cilantro.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lime juice, cumin, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
3. Drizzle dressing over the salad and gently toss. Serve with the tortilla chips.
For a portable meal, wrap the salad in a large burrito or stuff it into a pita.
Calories 565; Fat 37g; Calories From Fat 59%; Sat Fat 5g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 643mg; Protein 11g; Carbohydrate 55g; Fiber 14g; Sugar 6g