Sunday, August 7, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chocolate Chip Cookies
Bob's Red Mill Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix

First foray into chocolate chip cookies since being diagnosed with gluten and dairy intolerance. While dairy-free (i.e. parve) cookies are nothing new for me, the idea of not using my beloved flour was a bit scary... I happened to pick up a mix of Chocolate Chip Cookies from Bob's Red Mill and popped it into the oven the other day. It's a simple mix to make, you only need butter (or fake butter, which I call "futter" I used Earth Balance) and eggs or egg substitute, the only difficulty is stirring the mix which is very thick and very dry. To make the recipe moist enough and delicious enough, I added an extra egg and more chocolate chips (the number of chips in the recipe is scant.. it would be about 0.9 chips per cookie if I hadn't added some extras.) I added Hershey's non-dairy OU-certified chocolate chips that don't appear to have gluten in them.

Health/Ingredients: It's main ingredients are brown sugar, evaporated cane juice, and bean flour.
Kashrut: Rabbi Avrohon Teichman (Kehilla Kosher)
http://www.bobsredmill.com/gf-chocolate-chip-cookie-mix.html

One tip: Licking the bowl just isn't worth it with many of the gluten-free products, and some even leave a nasty tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment